The planned lightweight bout between Sage Northcutt and John Makdessi has been scratched from UFC 214 later this month.
UFC officials today announced the removal of the contest, citing injuries to both Northcutt (8-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) and Makdessi (14-6 MMA, 7-5 UFC).
UFC 214 takes place July 29 at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FXX and UFC Fight Pass
The fight marked Northcutt’s return to the lightweight division after he suffered a submission loss to Mickey Gall in a welterweight contest at UFC on FOX 22 in December. He was originally supposed to fight Claudio Puelles at the event, but Puelles withdrew just over a month out.
UFC officials say the UFC 214 lineup will proceed with 12 scheduled fights.
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Champ Daniel Cormier vs. Jon Jones – for light heavyweight title
- Champ Tyron Woodley vs. Demian Maia – for welterweight title
- Cristiane Justino vs. Tonya Evinger – for vacant women’s featherweight title
- Donald Cerrone vs. Robbie Lawler
- Jimi Manuwa vs. Volkan Oezdemir
PRELIMINARY CARD (FXX, 8 p.m. ET)
- Jason Knight vs. Ricardo Lamas
- Renan Barao vs. Aljamain Sterling
- Renato Moicano vs. Brian Ortega
- Andre Fili vs. TBA
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 5:30 p.m. ET)
- Jarred Brooks vs. Eric Shelton
- Alexandra Albu vs. Kailin Curran
- Josh Burkman vs. Drew Dober
- Dmitrii Smoliakov vs. Adam Wieczorkowski
For more on UFC 214, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.