Cynthia Calvillo came close to submitting Joanne Calderwood in the first and final rounds, but she couldn’t quite finish.
Instead, Calvillo (6-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) had to settle for a win on the scorecards, outpointing Calderwood (11-3 MMA, 3-3 UFC) to win a unanimous decision victory in a close fight that had a little bit of everything.
The women’s 118-pound catchweight bout (Calderwood missed weight) was the co-main event of today’s UFC Fight Night 113 event at SSE Hydro in Glasgow, Scotland. It aired on FS1 following early prelims on UFC Fight Pass.
Twitter reacts to Cynthia Calvillo’s win over Joanne Calderwood at UFC Fight Night 113
Calderwood got off to a strong start in this fight, largely due to her success using her array of kicks to keep Calvillo at a distance on the feet. But when Calvillo got in close enough to take the fight to the mat late in the opening round, she quickly seized the advantage, taking Calderwood’s back and then nearly catching her in an armbar in the ensuing scramble.
Calderwood seemed back in control for most of the second round, hammering Calvillo with kicks and elbows, despite having her nose bloodied by a Calvillo punch early in the round. And while Calvillo fired off several hard counter hooks, Calderwood remained the busier fighter on the fight down the stretch.
But again, it was the takedowns and ground work of Calvillo that saved the day. Late in a close third round she Calderwood to the mat again, and finished the fight with back control, looking for rear-naked choke that Calderwood managed to outlast.
Much to the disappointment of the Scottish crowd, all three judges saw the fight for Calvillo, giving her the win with scores of 30-27, 30-27, and 29-28.
Calvillo maintains her perfect professional record with the win, earning her third straight victory in the UFC. Calderwood has now lost two straight.
Up-to-the-minute UFC Fight Night 113 results include:
- Cynthia Calvillo def. Joanne Calderwood via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Paul Felder def. Stevie Ray via knockout (strikes) – Round 1, 3:57
- Jack Marshman def. Ryan Janes via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Khalil Rountree def. Paul Craig via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 4:56
- Justin Willis def. James Mulheron via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Danny Roberts def. Bobby Nash via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 3:59
- Alexandre Pantoja def. Neil Seery via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 3, 2:31
- Galore Bofando def. Charlie Ward via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 2:10
- Danny Henry def. Daniel Teymur via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-26)
- Brett Johns def. Albert Morales via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-25)
- Leslie Smith def. Amanda Lemos via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 2:53
For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 113, check out the UFC Events section of the site.
(MMAjunkie’s Abbey Subhan contributed to this report on site in Glasgow.)